Total Time: 30 min
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1/2 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
• 1/2 large red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
• 1 small jalapeno, minced (or cayenne, to taste)
• 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
• 10 plum tomatoes, diced (or 1 (14-oz) can diced tomatoes with juice)
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
• 1/2 14oz can chickpeas
• 3 large eggs
• Baguette, for serving
• salt and pepper, to taste
• Chopped cilantro, to garnish
Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the onions and sauté over medium heat until translucent. Add the bell peppers and jalapeño and cook just until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and sauté for another 1 minute.
Slowly pour in the tomatoes. Stir in the spices and chickpeas and let the mixture simmer for 5 minutes.
Crack the eggs into the tomato mixture. Cover and simmer for approximately 5 minutes or until the whites of the eggs are no longer translucent. Taste for seasoning, garnish with cilantro and serve hot.