Chicken Wild Rice Casserole
Total Time: 2 hours
• 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
• 1 1/3 cups uncooked long grain white rice
• 5 tablespoons butter
• 1 large onion, medium dice
• 12 oz button mushrooms, finely chopped
• 2 medium carrots, medium dice
• 2 medium stalks celery, medium dice
• 5 tablespoons flour
• 3/4 cup white wine
• 3/4 cup rice milk (sub cow milk)
• 4 cups chicken broth
• 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
• 2 heads broccoli, cut into small florets, no stems
• 4 cups cooked shredded chicken (or turkey)
• 2 cups shredded colby-jack cheese
• Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
Boil 1 1/2 cups water; add 1/2 cup wild rice; reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook 15 minutes. Add 1 1/3 cups white rice and 1 3/4 cups water and bring to boil again. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook additional 10 minutes. It will yield about 5 1/2 cups.
Preheat oven to 400F. Meanwhile, in a dutch oven over medium heat, melt butter and add onions and mushrooms; season with salt and pepper. Cook until softened; add carrots and celery; season; cook until softened.
Sprinkle flour over vegetables and cook one minute. Whisk in wine, milk, broth and thyme. Bring to a boil to thicken. Add broccoli, chicken, and rice; mix, season, and transfer to a baking dish. Bake uncovered 20 minutes. Add cheese and bake 10 more minutes until crispy and melted.