You’ll be tempted to add more chicken, but too much chicken will disrupt the tortilla to filling ratio! You also might be tempted to add cheese in between each layer, but the cheesy top should satisfy those cravings- if not, just sprinkle on a little extra when serving. We topped our pieces with full fat Greek yogurt instead of sour cream and it was delicious!
Green Chicken Enchilada Casserole using Corn Tortillas
Total Time: 1 hour
• 1 large onion, small dice
• 1 jalapeno, half seeded and minced
• 1 (15-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, undrained and crushed
• 8 garlic cloves, minced
• 2 cups shredded chicken
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
• Large handful cilantro, chopped
• 1 lime, juiced
• 2/3 container (16 oz) good quality salsa verde
• 12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
• 1 cup shredded pepper-Jack cheese
• Garnish: Green onions, Cilantro, Sour cream or Greek yogurt
Add onion, jalapeno, tomato, garlic, chicken, cumin, salt, and cayenne to a medium pot and simmer until onions are translucent. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro and lime juice.
Spread 1/4 cup salsa in the bottom of an 12 x 12-inch dish. Top with 4 overlapping tortillas, half of chicken mixture and 1/4 cup salsa. Repeat layers. Top with remaining 4 tortillas and 1/3 cup salsa; sprinkle evenly with cheese.
Bake at 425° for 15 minutes or until golden; sprinkle generously with chopped cilantro and green onions; top with sour cream.