Tortillas or tortilla chips may not be part of our detox, but you can still make this soul warming soup without them! The variety and amount of peppers and onions really make this soup for me, so even though it seems like a lot, they cook down and melt into the soup.
Chicken Tortilla Soup (Gluten Free, Dairy Free)
Total Time: 1 hour 30 min
• 1 teaspoon olive oil
• 2 large skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into long strips
• Kosher salt and Freshly ground black pepper for seasoning
• 2 large onions, chopped
• 4 garlic cloves, minced
• 2 tablespoons tomato paste
• 1 tablespoon ground cumin
• 2 teaspoons chili powder
• 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
• 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
• 1 28oz can of Muir Glen fire roasted whole tomatoes
• 1 cup water or chicken stock
• 1 red bell pepper, medium dice
• 1 yellow bell pepper, medium dice
• 1 to 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (medium to hot heat level), chopped
Garnish: avocado slices, lime wedges and fresh cilantro, tortilla chips, shredded cheese (not on detox)
In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and season with 1 teaspoon salt and a pinch of pepper. Sear the chicken until browned and cooked through. Remove and shred into large chunks with a fork.
To the pot, add onions, season with salt, and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the tomato paste, cumin, chili powder and cayenne and stir well. Add chicken back to the pot.
Add the stock, tomatoes, and water and bring the mixture to a boil, scraping up the brown bits that cling to the bottom of the pan. Lower heat to a simmer, add peppers, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes. Serve hot and garnish with any desired accompaniments.