Our detox starts tomorrow! 10 days long. No alcohol, no cheese (besides 1 tablespoon of goat), and no bread. Here’s what we’re starting with- a detox quinoa salad. Healthy, delicious and full of slightly spicy flavor.
Detox Quinoa Salad
Makes 4 cups
Total Time: 30 minutes
• ½ cup dried, rinsed quinoa (should yield about 1 cup cooked)
• 1 cup vegetable stock or water
• 2 teaspoons olive oil, halved
• ½ red onion, chopped
• 1 red bell pepper, chopped
• 1 large clove garlic, minced
• 1/2 seeded, minced jalapeno
• 1/8 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
• 1/2 large cucumber, peeled
• 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped (or 10 quartered cherry tomatoes)
• 1/2 lemon, zested and juiced
• about 6 basil leaves, chiffonade, save some to garnish
• 1 avocado, diced
Bring 1 1/2 cups veg stock or water and 1/2 cup rinsed quinoa to a boil and then lower to a simmer. (Double the amount for leftover quinoa!) If using water, salt the quinoa. Cover and simmer about 15 minutes until seeds have popped open exposing the cooked, tiny curled germ. The seeds should yield a slight al dente bite like pasta. Don’t overcook it!
Meanwhile, add 1 teaspoon olive oil to a pan over medium heat. Add onion, season with salt and saute until translucent. Add bell pepper, garlic, jalapeno, and chipotle. Cook over medium heat for about 3-5 minutes to heat everything through. Take pan off heat and mix in the cooked quinoa.
In a separate container, combine cucumber, tomatoes, lemon zest, lemon juice, 1 teaspoon olive oil, and basil. If needed, add additional salt and pepper to taste. Plate and top with avocado. Garnish with basil.