This recipe is actually a carrot cake made with zucchini instead. It has the same flavors you would expect from a carrot cake. This cake is very moist and contains no butter! Perfect summertime recipe to use up that zucchini.
Pineapple Zucchini Sheet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Total Time: 45 min
FOR THE CAKE:
• 1½ cup All-purpose flour
• 1¼ cup granulated sugar
• ½ cups flaked coconut (I used unsweetened)
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1 teaspoon kosher salt
• 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
• ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
• ¼ teaspoon ginger
•¼ cup canola oil (you can use olive too)
• 2 whole large eggs
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 2 cups grated (unpeeled) zucchini
• 1 can (20 oz. size) crushed pineapple in juice, pineapple & juice
FOR THE FROSTING:
• 2 tablespoons unsalted Butter, softened
• 1 package (8 oz. size) Low-fat Cream Cheese, Softened (you can use full-fat too)
• 2 cups powdered sugar
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• chopped pecans or walnuts, if desired
Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine flour, sugar, coconut, baking soda, salt, and spices in a large bowl; stir well with a whisk.
Combine oil, eggs, and vanilla; stir well. Stir egg mixture, grated zucchini, and pineapple into the flour mixture.
Spoon batter into a 13 x 9-inch baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350°F for about 30–35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs and cake is pulling away from sides of pan. Cool completely on a wire rack.
To prepare frosting, combine butter and cream cheese in a large bowl. Beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Beat in powdered sugar and vanilla and beat until slightly whipped, about 3 minutes. Spread frosting over top of cake. You can garnish with chopped pecans or walnuts, if desired.