For the cupcakes:
• 1 cup flour, plus 1 tablespoon
• 3/4 cup sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
• 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
• 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup almond milk (or warm water)
• 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 1/3 cup vegetable oil
• 1 teaspoon distilled apple cider vinegar
For chocolate glaze:
• 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
• 1/4 cup cocoa powder, sifted
• 3 tablespoons soy/rice/almond milk
For chocolate frosting:
• 1/2 cup soft vegan margarine
• 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 tablespoon almond milk
Preheat the oven to 350F and prepare a dozen muffin cups with liners.
In a large mixing bowl, stir together the sugar, milk, vanilla, oil and vinegar. In another bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Sift the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, pausing two or three times to stir, and keep stirring until all the large lumps are gone.
Pour the batter into the cupcake liners until they are about two-thirds full. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
When cool, whisk the chocolate glaze ingredients until smooth and spread the glaze on the cupcakes or if making the frosting- Cream all frosting ingredients together until creamy and smooth. Cover and refrigerate until needed.