Want something warm, satisfying and healthy? I do, especially since Minneapolis’ weather is set to be -50 tomorrow… The joys of Minnesota. I’ll be staying indoors and eating lots of hot, hot soup.
Quinoa, White Bean, Kale Stew
Total Time: 30 min
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 large yellow onion, large dice
• 3 large cloves garlic, minced
• 1 large carrot, peeled, diced medium
• 1 large celery stalk, diced small
• 1 medium potato, diced medium
• 1 teaspoon dried thyme
• 4 cups turkey stock (sub chicken or vegetable broth)
• 2 cups water
• 3/4 cup dry quinoa
• 1 15 oz can white beans, drained
• 4 handfuls baby kale
• Kosher salt and Fresh black pepper, to taste
Preheat a 4 quart soup pot over medium high heat. Add oil, saute onion until translucent, season with salt and pepper, then add garlic and cook 30 seconds. Add carrot, celery, potato, thyme and saute 2 minutes.
Add stock, water, and quinoa. Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn heat to medium and cook for about 12 minutes, until potato and quinoa are cooked. Add beans and kale, and simmer until warmed through. Taste for salt and pepper and re-season if necessary.