What are wheat berries? Whole wheat kernels! They’re as easy as rice to prepare. When boiled, cooked wheat berries have a chewy bite and subtle nutty, earthy flavor. They’re full of fiber, protein, iron, vitamin E and magnesium. This salad is a perfect grab and go lunch that will keep you full until dinner.
Protein Packed Wheat Berry Salad
Makes 4 servings
Total Time: 1 hr 15 min
• 1 cup uncooked wheat berries (hard red spring)
• 2 cups water
• 1 (15-ounce) can chick peas, drained
• 1 (14-ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained
• 1 1/2 roasted red peppers
• 2 cups roasted cauliflower (optional)
• 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, to taste
• 1/4 tsp ground cumin, to taste
• 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• Parsley, to garnish
Sort through wheat berries carefully, discarding any stones. Place in a large heavy saucepan. Add water and salt (A 2:1 ratio of water to grains). Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer gently for 1 hour or until tender and liquid is absorbed.
Whisk dressing ingredients together and season to taste. Combine cooked wheat berries, vegetables, and dressing in a large bowl. Cover and store in the refrigerator until ready to eat.