A hearty and rich vegetarian meal- yet also healthy! Meaty mushrooms meet nutty kale all encased in a creamy sauce. It’s a no guilt meal that leaves you satisfied.
Kale and Mushroom Stroganoff
Total time: 30 minutes
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 16 ounces fresh mushrooms, quartered
• 1 1/2 cups medium-dice yellow onion (about 1 large onion)
• heaping 1/2 teaspoon paprika
• 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 1 bunch flat-leaf kale (about 11 ounces), tough stems removed and leaves cut into bite-size pieces
• 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
• Kosher salt and Freshly ground black pepper
• 1/4 cup dry white wine
• 1/2 cup 2% milk
• 8 ounces dried egg noodles (3 1/2 cups uncooked medium egg noodles)
• 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
• 1/3 cup fat-free sour cream
• Garnish: parsley and/or grated parmesan cheese
Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil over high heat. Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring rarely, until browned, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium, add the onion and paprika and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion has softened, about 5 minutes.
Sprinkle in the flour and cook, stirring occasionally, until the raw flavor has cooked off, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add the kale and garlic, season with salt and pepper, and cook, until the kale is just wilted, about 1 minute.
Add the wine and cook until almost evaporated, about 3 minutes. Reduce the heat to low, add the milk, season with salt and pepper, and cook until the sauce is slightly thickened, scraping up any bits at the bottom of the pan, about 5 to 7 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook the noodles in the boiling water according to the package directions. When the noodles are ready, reserve 1/3 cup of the cooking liquid. Drain the noodles and return them to the pot; set aside.
Add the reserved pasta cooking liquid to the pan with the kale-mushroom sauce and simmer until thickened, about 2 minutes. Add the butter and stir until melted and combined. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the sour cream. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed. Serve the vegetable mixture immediately, spooned over the noodles and garnish with parsley and/or parmesan.